Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Critique...Baby Beauty Pageant (Competition #1)

Photo Essays are by far a weakness of mine. I can never make up my mind on which photos I want to use, because after reading the story I can find a way that all of the photos are significant. Thus, with this assignment I ended up with all but one of the photos on my spreads.


These first two pages were my favorites of the five, mostly because I absolutely love the opening photo I selected; I could see why this little girl won Most Photogenic. I also liked the way I was able to fit the photos together without cropping or harming the quality of the photography.



This second spread is not at all how I wanted it to look as I view it right now. The right-hand page would have been better without the two smaller photos because I took away from the emotion and exhaustion in that main photo.


Visually, I wanted the sidebar to bar to take on the idea of a runway like the girls walk down during pageants or like the end of the ribbons they win for placing. The more I look at it now, I really wish I would have created a starburst to put the headline in for Toddlers & Tiaras; that would have made the ribbon concept a whole lot easier to understand.



My cover idea came to me the moment I saw the picture I selected. The more I think about it, and after talking about the importance of the dad over the child I see why my selection was not optimal. However, I still like my design and likely wouldn't have changed it. My spreads would be where I would have highlighted the father more if I could redue the assignment. 



1 comment:

  1. I love the way you organized your photos for the spreads. I always have the hardest time arranging pictures for a photo essay, but you did such a great job! I know Erica mentioned that using so many photos was the downfall for a lot of designers, but it seems to me that you used them in a way that it makes sense. It's not cluttered at all and you still got to use color and flair on your last page with that pink bar.

    ReplyDelete