Wednesday, January 26, 2011

You Can't Miss...Cupcakes and Web Design

I still have a love for the physical aspect of holding a magazine and flipping through the pages as I read, but after a summer in New York City at Hollywood Life I learned that designing for the internet is definitely something I will consider post-graduation. Keeping that in mind, I have decided to follow Smashing Magazine for the semester. Many of the their most recent posts deal with internet design and internet advertising. One post I stumbled upon focused on productive web design using Illustrator. They detail the use of Illustrator as a quicker and easier choice over Photoshop because it allows the designer to avoid having to jump from level to level in order to change things and, instead, keeps all objects on a single art board with the designers ability to select the object they wish to alter. For those of you that haven't used Illustrator much in the past, you should definitely check this out!




On another note, after talking about cake during a large portion of the Meredith presentation and because I was reminiscing about NYC cupcakes I ate this summer I did a quick search on cupcakes and found this bakery. And while their "designs" may not be as extravegate as some of the many beautiful bakery cakes, what I love was the photography displaying how wonderful and different each cupcake was without all the decorations. That's how I see this course and each of us as designers.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading your blog each week for postings about Smashing Magazine. I always see their posts on Twitter and mean to come back to them later, but always forget. I loved the one you posted about using Illustrator for web design. I took some web design classes and it was always frustrating how difficult it was to make a web page look like a print page I was used to designing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haleigh, I LOVE Smashing Magazine and am excited to get updates from you about their cool new stuff. I thought it was super interesting that you decided to post about the cupcakes. I completely agree that the photography makes the cupcakes look really great and undoubtedly helps their business.

    ReplyDelete