Thursday, January 27, 2011

Response...Here's to Meredith

When I spoke with people that had already taken this capstone course they told me that the Meredith project was intense but that is was one of their favorite journalism experiences throughout college. After speaking with the Meredith representatives yesterday I only became more excited, because I saw -- especially with the Maggie and Veronica -- how quickly our experience build and that working for a magazine with such prestige as Better Homes and Gardens could happen only a few years, or even months, after graduation. 


What I am most looking forward to is seeing the hard copy at the end of the project. I know that's a long way from now -- or so it seems -- but the idea that at the end of this semester I will be able to hold a prototype with designs that I created as part of a real idea. As we were told during this presentation, these are real clients and real readers. It's such an inspiration that our assignment is so much more than anything we've ever been ask to complete for other courses.


After attending the Magazine Club trip to New York City last year I found out that many, if not most, of the magazines we visited had incredibly small staffs. The fact that we will be working in such small groups on this project would normally give me some worry, but knowing that major publications do it every month gives me a bit more confidence in the way of thinking we could really produce some fantastic prototypes.


So here's to the our projects, the work we'll put in and the knowledge that seven semesters (for most of us) has prepared us for this moment!

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely also looking forward to holding a hard copy of our prototype! It's like we were all saying in class on Thursday, we have all been waiting to take this class and actually design for more than just a class assignment for YEARS now. I'm so excited to design for VOX, actually have my designs published and take on such a huge portfolio piece.

    On a side note, congrats on winning the Spring Preview feature competition! I can't wait to see the final designs.

    ReplyDelete