Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Critique...Spring Preview (Competition #2)

I have to say, I could not have been more excited after I got the call from Erica about winning the feature spread design! I had so much fun creating the spreads and the fact that I enjoyed it so much goes to show that great work comes from truly enjoying what you're doing!


While looking to draw inspiration from the editors' discussion of gears and planets I came across a clipart that sparked my imagination and helped me to come up with my overall concept for the splash page and feature spread. The three gears in the clipart were given directions by arrows and all the elements had vibrant bright colors -- and favorite in my design world. From that I came up with my "Switching Gears" idea.






Now...because my all of my creative energy went into my splash page and feature spread, it is quite obvious that my cover is far from inspirational. But I did link it to my "Switching Gears" concept!




I have been unable to get the PDFs of my final designs, but you will all see them TOMORROW in Vox! I'll post those when I get them, though!



3 comments:

  1. Awesome job on your Spring Preview design Haleigh! It looks great! I can imagine how excited you were to hear you won.
    The backgrounds you found are really neat. I'm for sure going to use one for my desktop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your cover here. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I love the colors you chose to put on the cover. When paired with the photo, they go very nicely together fir some reason (even though I generally hate green and orange together). Your typeface is great on the cover. The switch from rigid, metallic gears on the cover to cutesy ones on the inside is interesting. I really like how you treated the feature part of the assignment. Great job following the editors' suggestions; it really paid off for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your win. It's a great, clean design and the small illustrations in the final design are a nice touch. I also found it interesting that you chose to use real gears for the cover as opposed to illustrated gears. I'm excited to hear your critique for why you did this. It's a nice juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete