Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Response...Choosing Typeface Takes Forever

In being chosen to design the feature spreads for Spring Preview this week I got the opportunity to work with Aaron Channon -- and we proceeded to spend 45 minutes choosing typefaces. It's definitely not as easy as it sounds. I am all about the fun typefaces, but unfortunately those typefaces become difficult to read depending on the instance they're being used. For example -- the type I chose for my Spring Preview design worked for bigger headlines, but when I used it for the event headers the style became too difficult to read.


Word to the wise...print out a draft of your designs first if you are using a unique font!!

2 comments:

  1. It's so true. In my opinion, it's one of the hardest parts of designing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Type is incredibly important. I think it's more important than the words themselves. For me, at least, I register the image before I can even begin to comprehend the written words. The type is part of the visual story you're telling along with your color palette and photo selection. If any of those miss the mark, you're telling a different story. This is one of the few ways in which I prefer writing to design. Although, were I currently writing more than designing, I might feel the exact opposite way.

    ReplyDelete