Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Response...You will never be trained all at once again

Three months...six days...then college graduation. I knew this semester would fly by, but I guess I didn't realize how fast -- because now it's time for a real world job.


During the staff meeting Monday, Jen reminded all of us that were are more responsible for ourselves in school then we think. This semester may be a class for which I will receive a grade -- but the fact is, we are publishing a magazine that is a lot more than a class assignment to those reading Vox each week. 


I wasn't scared about joining the real world when I went to New York City this summer -- but I didn't make the parallel connection to the fact that all of us interning at Hollywood Life this summer started at nearly the same time. So while this internship was real world experience -- we were very much sheltered and walked through the motions for the first few weeks.


Now -- what fear I may have to come to terms with rather soon is that my first job will not offer a hand to hold through those first few obstacles and I may fall down a few times. I guess, come May 15, I will learn to stand on my own two feet.


In the mean time...I will be re-reading my Vox Style Guide and Advanced Magazine Design syllabus!


All that aside, though, the best Jen quote from staff meeting Monday: "Don't think you can get away with things. I have the brain the size of an elephant." So if you're a magazine student at Mizzou -- just know that with Jen Rowe you will never get away with plagiarism. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you brought up these points in your blog post. Some of these things really struck me in the staff meeting last Monday when Jen was talking about them. While it seemed like a lot of it was directed at the reporters, it reminded me that I should try to take some more initiative around the VOX office. I've been trying to cut back on e-mailing Erica with a million questions and look for some of the answers myself. It's great that everyone around the office is so helpful, but in preparation for the real world, I think its good to try to rely on just yourself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe we're all so close to having to look for an adult job... How crazy. It sounds like you had a great experience in NY over the summer. Congratulations to you for being so successful in your internship! Hopefully the connections you made, plus your awesome portfolio from the capstone, will help you find a job a little easier.

    Great Jen Rowe quote. Ahh, it's so true. Her brain is definitely the size of an elephant's. How else could you actually understand the structure of the English language?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post to help us keep all this crazy design hooplah in perspective. We should all be able to realize how beneficial this capstone will be for our futures. However, we also need to keep in mind that each of us are responsible for our own tasks (and there are about a billion of them.) The best we can do is just keep ourselves and our personal schedules on time and on track. And of course, not let little things, like the schedule, get to us.

    ReplyDelete