Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You Can't Miss...Tips I Wish I Knew, But Already Know

In the last year I have spent more time using Creative Suite programs than anyone other program I've used in my lifetime. This week on Smashing Magazine they had a post about tips on InDesign that designers wished they knew -- what I loved about it was the fact that I knew how to do all but a few of the tips. There's nothing like knowing that you've chosen the right career path -- and the idea that I knew how to do a lot of what others find to be "new" is great!


My favorite that I already knew...saving color swatches and loading new ones.
For a designer with a color-centered personality, I knew all about this tip about 30 seconds into opening InDesign for the first time. Maybe they should name the next color library after me ;)


A new one for me...master pages.
I knew that InDesign had a master page capability -- but, to be honest, I had no idea what the purpose was in the slightest. Now I know that if all my pages need to have a number of elements that are the same all I have to do is save them to the master page!


Check out all the other tips in the post and see how many you know -- but like they close with, know that as designers the best way to learn the "tips" of InDesign is to open the program and just start trying to make it work!

1 comment:

  1. Designing pages for Vox has definitely helped me to learn more tricks in InDesign. When I think back to when I used the programs in high school (way back when we used CS2), I thought I had InDesign down, but then I get to Vox and realized I don't even know how to text wrap! Another thing that I didn't know about/use before Infographics and Vox was the keyboard shortcuts. It's comforting to know that I have learned a lot and when job listings say "must be proficient in Indesign" I can feel confident enough to apply.

    ReplyDelete